Too many of us forget that fireworks are dangerous, explosive devices, NOT family-friendly toys! Always follow safe practices around fireworks, whether you’re attending a professional production, or using consumer fireworks in your driveway. Educate yourself about the firework allowances and restrictions in your community. Those rules are there to keep the community safe! Also remember that fireworks of any type—from a professional display to a lone sparkler—require careful safety precautions.
A Few Simple Rules for Fireworks Safety
- Never leave kids alone to play with fireworks. ALWAYS include responsible adult supervision.
- Always respect safety barriers, whether you’re at a professional display or using consumer fireworks.
- Know your fireworks and read every label, then follow all recommendations and safety warnings!
- Never relight a dud. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Wear eye goggles!
- If you get ash in your eye, flush it out with water, don’t rub.
Remember, each of these precautions applies even for small, safe-seeming fireworks. Sparklers, for example, burn amazingly hot! They’re about 10 times hotter than boiling water. Imagine that flying at your face.