One of the more important things to do for a person concerned with AMD, is to check their vision with an Amsler grid.
They are easy to print, we have provided a link http://visionsource.com/site/assets/files/3168/vs_amsler_grid.pdf
While the test is easy to use, it is important to remember a few helpful hints. Avoid taking the test in a room with glare and try to keep the chart at a consistent distance. Remember to test both eyes separately! And follow these simple steps:
- Hold the Amsler Grid at eye level and at a comfortable reading distance.
- Wear the eyeglasses or contacts you normally use for reading.
- Cover one eye.
- Fix your gaze on the center black dot.
- Try to notice if any portion of the grid is distorted, blurred or missing. Be sure to check the edges and corners too.
- Repeat with the other eye.
If your view of the grid has changed, contact your eye doctor.