Gr8 Eye Movement is a campaign that aims to raise awareness of retinal diseases that cause significant vision loss. The GR8 Eye Movement establishes a time to prioritize eye health by designating the eighth of every month as a day to check eye health.
Award-winning actress, dancer, choreographer, singer-songwriter, director and producer, Debbie Allen has joined with Prevent Blindness, and Regeneron for the Gr8 eye movement to encourage those who are at risk of or affected by retinal diseases like:
• Wet age-related macular degeneration (wet AMD). Wet age-related macular degeneration is when new abnormal blood vessels grow into the macular. These vessels leak blood or fluid. Scarring of the macula occurs and rapid loss of central vision.
• Diabetic, macular edema (DME). Diabetic macular edema is a complication of diabetes. Retinopathy is an accumulation of leaked fluid.
• Diabetic retinopathy (DR). Diabetic retinopathy is a disease that damages the blood vessels in the retina, leading to bulges, leaking, and reduced blood flow.
95% of adults are at risk for retinal diseases and don’t even know it. “Diabetes has ravaged my family: my father, my grandfather, my aunts and uncles,” says Allen.
The main goal of this campaign is to make more people aware of retinal diseases. Educate those who are at distinct risk of developing these diseases. It is critical for people who are from communities of color, those over the age of 60, those living with diabetes, or those at risk of developing diabetes.
You can join the movement, by visiting www.gr8eyemovement.com. Where you can:
• Access, resources, and information to make eye health a top priority.
• Find useful tips, including how to use an Amsler grid to detect any vision changes. The Amsler grid is a diagnostic tool that aids in the detection of visual disturbances. The grid is made up of horizontal and vertical lines used to check a person’s central visual field. The grid was developed by a Swiss Ophthalmologist, Mark Amsler.
• Understand when to make an appointment for eye care.
• Sign up to receive emails with helpful reminders.
This campaign is named Gr8 Eye Movement to use the 8th day of the month as a reminder day, but if it is the 8th, the 18th or any other day and you suspect you are having difficulty with your vision make that appointment today. Don’t wait!