In past Halloween blogs I have written about safety in regards to how scary illegal contact lenses can be https://bit.ly/2pieKRq and how eye. Injuries happen due to costume malfunctions https://bit.ly/2MUGKns.
The unseen danger of Halloween isn’t a pointed stick or plastic sword, a costume that obstructs a child’s vision or a broken glow stick. All of which are accidents that can be seen, but unless you or your child is affected by them, food allergies are unknown to many giving out the Halloween treats. Most people mean no harm, they just aren’t aware.
The teal pumpkin project www.foodallergy.org is a way to make more people aware of the hidden dangers. Putting a teal pumpkin on your doorstep lets trick or treaters know you have non-food treats available. This simple act promotes inclusion for kids who have food allergies or other conditions.
The number one ranked Halloween candy this year is Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, not to pick on Reese’s, they are delicious and peanut butter cups aren’t the only source of food allergies for kids, but one of the most common food allergy for children is to peanuts. Peanuts can cause a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction (anaphylaxis).
So don’t let these kids either go home to have their parent’s toss these treats in the trash because of the allergens send these kids home with a small trinket so as not to feel excluded from Halloween festivities.