So Punxsutawney Phil the Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators and Weather Profit Extraordinary has called for, sorry to say, 6 more weeks of winter. https://youtu.be/YBTchR3jV6M
- Phil is 135 years old, his life is extended by seven years every summer at the annual picnic at Gobbler Nob by taking a swig of groundhog nog.
- Phil announces his prediction annually in groundhogsese. Which is translated by the President of the inner circle.
- Punxsutawney Phil‘s wife is named Phyllis
- Groundhog day originated from German settlers who came to the USA in the early 1880s. Before their arrival in America, Germans would look to the badger to forecast weather. The settlers replace the badger with the more common ground hog in PA. The first Punxsutawney ground hog celebration was an 1886.
- The Christian religious holiday of Candlemas day evolved into the celebration we know today is Groundhog Day.