Studies show that women are more likely to suffer from eye-related problems than men. Women need to be more vigilant with their eye care. Two thirds of blindness and visual impairment worldwide occur in women. That is 66% of blind patients are women.
Top eye related risks for women:
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) 65% of cases
- Glaucoma (65%)
- Dry eye occurs at double the rate in post-menopausal women
In general women are more susceptible to auto immune diseases that affect vision, than men.
- Sjogren’s Syndrome
- Hyper thyroiditis
- Pregnancy can cause changes in vision due to hormonal changes.
Why are women at higher risk?
- Women live longer-age plays a role in vision problems.
- Lifestyle choices-Stop smoking, eat healthier, protect your eyes from UV rays.
It has been estimated that 75% of blindness and vision loss can be prevented or is treatable.
- Have a comprehensive eye exam including dial action and a health scan of the eye.
- Be aware of family history.
- Switch to a healthy lifestyle.
- Protect your eye from UV rays with sunglasses and other dangers such as flying debris by wearing Googles.